Saturday, August 23, 2008

Day 5: The Anchors Have Arrived

Many of you know that I have recently become obsessed with CNN anchormen, specifically Anderson Cooper. Well today, I was blessed with the opportunity to not only be in their presence, but also shoot footage with them in it and get to speak with them about journalism and politics.

Today I was able to meet Wolf Blitzer, and even though I didn't officially meet Anderson Cooper, I was able to speak with his producer and really just experience an amazing opportunity while being part of the CNN community. It was an awesome time. We started the day at about noon, but the problem was that the Light Rail shut down at an earlier spot in the city than I had originally anticipated, and because of that I was forced to go through an in-city college so I could get to work on time. I was actually running a little late despite leaving an hour early for work because the light rail trains were taking forever! I got to our CNN office but the secret service decided that they had to weed out every single member of the press, so I had to wait in line for about 20 minutes, but fortunately I cut in line in front of about 200 people because I saw some other interns for CNN. I then had to rush to the Pepsi Center in order to make it on time for our shooting of The Newsroom, where I first ran into Wolf and Gloria Borger or however you spell her name.

I spent most of my time hanging out around the anchor platform, but the highlight of my day came when John King started going to work on our magic wall, and I was right behind the wall in the background of the shot. I was texting my friend Jeff telling him about what was coming up next, and in doing so, Jeff started watching the show, and then saw me on TV. It wasn't a big deal, but it was really cool talking to him as he was freaking out cuz he just saw me on TV. Really a good time, I wish more people could experience what I get to see. It's really a dream come true as far as my journalistic aspirations are concerned.

To be honest, I'm getting used to all the stars and the glitz and glamor, but it's still humbling. Tomorrow I have to be at work at 6am, or 8am Eastern Time, so I'm going to hit the hay. Look for more tomorrow, or leave a comment if you wish to know something specifically. I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out. Miss you all from home.

2 comments:

Alicia Lee said...

Heyy I saw that Donald Miller is doing the prayer at the convention tomorrow. That's awesome! I love his books. (I'm actually reading Through Painted Deserts right now!) If you get to talk to him, tell him what's up for me. lol.

Shaun Smithson said...

Hey man,
Just wanted to say that your excitement is awesome. I love that I get to kind of be a part of this with you. Thanks for blogging.

Shaun